Tuesday 14 December 2010

Unit Reflection

Blog Post: Unit Reflection

One of the most memorable things I have learnt throughout this unit is a wide range of skills in News Reporting. From writing basic hard news stories through to council and court reporting, press releases and even feature writing, I feel very confident in producing all types of news stories. The two visits to both a Magistrates court and a Crown court also gave me fantastic experience in live journalism.

My experiences in print and online were also very enjoyable. I was given the opportunity to create a blog, which helped motivate me to continue writing in my own time. Producing a full sized tabloid news spread during our print classes also gave me a great insight into what print would be like in my second semester if I were to choose it as one of my two options, and also valuable experience in using Adobe InDesign.

As for the broadcast units, radio was thoroughly enjoyable in both writing radio news stories to getting to spend time in the radio studio. Unfortunately, though, 10 minutes just didn’t seem enough to get a real taste of radio journalism. The same can be said for my two lessons of T.V. I got no time in the studio what so ever, and we were doing mostly the same practical work as in radio: recording and editing Vox Pops. This makes my decision as to what units I want to do in my second semester more difficult.

If I could go back and do the unit again I would have spent more time on my blog and wrote more regularly than I have done. I would also have liked to widen my content to not just reviews, but profiles and features. I also would have spent more time in the radio and T.V studio’s to help inform my unit choices for next semester.  

No comments:

Post a Comment